Thursday, May 6, 2010

Roast Chicken


How many times have you had dry, tasteless chicken? Dry chicken is then covered with fatty gravy to mask the dryness.
So, most people buy rotisserie chickens from the supermarket that have been sitting under heat lamps for hours... yum :/

This recipe utilizes fresh herbs and lemon to infuse the chicken with flavor in each and every moist bite!

You will need:
  • Fresh, whole chicken
  • 1 Lemon
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • Fresh herbs - I buy a pack called "poultry mix" which has rosemary, oregano, thyme and sage

  • 2 cloves crushed garlic
  • 1 large yellow onion
*Start with a whole chicken, remove the bag from inside (I made the mistake once not to remove it, learned my lesson quick!) and rinse the bird inside and out with cold water. Trim any excess skin/fat, there is usually a lot around the bottom and neck

*In a small bowl mix together olive oil, juice from half of the lemon, lemon zest, garlic and thyme


*Using clean hands separate the skin from the chicken breast and legs

*Place the mixture under the skin, allowing all the flavors to reach the meat

*Stuff the cavity with: onion, lemon and the rest of the fresh herbs

*Tie legs together for more even cooking

*My secret: I cut 3 large slices of an onion to line the bottom of a baking pan and place the chicken on top. The onion well elevate the chicken and release moisture while it cooks. If you like to make gravy it will add lots of flavor too!




*Bake at 350 F for 25 minutes/per pound - I loosely cover the chicken with foil and remove it for the last 30 minutes of cooking to brown the skin

*Remove chicken from the baking pan and let it rest for at least 10 minutes before carving!

I served this with a spinach salad and egg noodles



1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to make this recipe! It's like you read my mind, I love roasted chicken, but they are NOT fresh at the store and use wayyyyyyy to much grease! Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete